Friday, January 25, 2013

Who Am I?



The Psalmist asked, "What is man, that thou art mindful of him" (Psalms 8:4)? I echo his words: "Who am I, that thou are mindful of and good to me?" 

In the scriptures, I find doctrinal gems that are glimpses into the eternities that help me know who I truly am. Paul declared, "We are the offspring of God" (Acts 17:29). Both Abraham and Zechariah said that God organized or formed our spirits before this world began (Abraham 3:22 and Zechariah 12:1). Moses spoke of a spiritual creation in heaven before mortal flesh was ever upon the earth (Moses 3:5; see also Genesis 2:5 and Abraham 5:5). God asked Job where he was before the foundations of this earth were laid (Job 38:4) and where he was when "all the sons of God shouted for joy" (Job 38:7). To Jeremiah, He said, “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee" (Jeremiah 1:5). In Proverbs we read,

"The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.

"I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

"When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

"Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:

"While as yet he had not made the earth, or the fields, or the highest part of the dust of the world.

"When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:

"When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:

"When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:

"Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;

"Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men." (Proverbs 8:21-31, emphasis added).

Paul taught that God promised His children the hope of eternal life before this world ever began (Titus 1:2). He also taught that God called us to accomplish a special work before He laid the foundations of this earth (Ephesians 1:4 and 2 Timothy 1:9). This is likely what Paul meant when he wrote, "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate" (Romans 8:29).The Holy Spirit confirms to my spirit the truth of these precious scriptural views of my existence before God formed this world. My being extends into time earlier than the days of my earthly life (Job 38:21). God is the Father of my spirit (Acts 17:29). I am literally His spirit child (Romans 8:16). He brought me up; I was also His daily delight; I rejoiced before Him (Proverbs 8:21-31). This wasn't some distant relationship. This was an intimate Father to son relationship that stretched into time long before my birth. This is where I first called Him Father (“O My Father”, Hymns, 292). He nurtured me and taught me. When He promised me the hope of Eternal life (Titus 1:2), I shouted for joy (Job 38:7). I can only imagine what I witnessed as I watched the miracle of creation unfold before my spirit’s eyes. Could I even have been a minor participant in laying the foundations of this earth?

God is mindful of me because He literally is my loving Father and I have been with Him before. He knew me (Jeremiah 1:5) and I knew Him. I am not a mortal being seeking a spiritual experience but I a spirit being that am experiencing mortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment