Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas

 
The beautiful carol, "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel," is about the coming of Jesus and the blessings which His birth brings to me and the whole human family. The carol, "Oh, Come, All Ye Faithful," is about my coming to Jesus. His coming can give me hope, but to receive it I must seek and come to Him as did the shepherds and the wise men. The words of this beautiful carol, composed by John F. Wade in the eighteenth century, are,

Oh, come, all ye faithful,
Joyful and triumphant!
Oh, come ye, oh come ye to Bethlehem.
Come and behold him,
Born the King of angels;

Oh, come, let us adore him;
Oh, come, let us adore him;
Oh, come, let us adore him,
Christ, the Lord.

Sing, choirs of angels,
Sing in exultation;
Sing, all ye citizens of heav’n above!
Glory to God,
Glory in the highest;

Oh, come, let us adore him;
Oh, come, let us adore him;
Oh, come, let us adore him,
Christ, the Lord.

Yea, Lord, we greet thee,
Born this happy morning;
Jesus, to thee be all glory giv’n.
Son of the Father,
Now in flesh appearing;

Oh, come, let us adore him;
Oh, come, let us adore him;
Oh, come, let us adore him,
Christ, the Lord.

Jesus' miraculous birth, exemplary life, and unselfish act of atonement are the pivotal events in all of human history. Amulek declared,

"For it is expedient that an atonement should be made; for according to the great plan of the Eternal God there must be an atonement made, or else all mankind must unavoidably perish; yea, all are hardened; yea, all are fallen and are lost, and must perish except it be through the atonement which it is expedient should be made." (Alma 34:9)

Prophets prophesied of His coming. An angel announced His birth while a choir of angels sang in the heavens. Has there ever been a more anticipated or celebrated yet humble birth?

For me, "O Come All Ye Faithful" extends an invitation to symbolically journey to Bethlehem and worship the Only Begotten Son of the Father just as the shepherds and wise men did centuries ago. Years after His birth, Jesus made this invitation when He said,

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)
 
I owe Jesus the hope I have for Eternal Life with my Heavenly Father. He is worthy of my adoration, worship, devotion, and discipleship not just as I celebrate His birth today but every day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment