Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Resolutions for 2014

The start of a new year is the time when I reflect on the events of the past year and whether goals set at the beginning of the year have been achieved. I ask myself questions such as:

  • Where did I do well and where did I fall short and why?
  • What could I have done better?
  • What needs to change in this coming year?
This exercise then leads to another round of goal setting.

As I have done my evaluation of 2013 and thought about plans for the coming year, the words of Amulek, spoken over two millennia ago, have guided my thinking. He said that, "if we do not improve our time while in this life,then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed" Alma 34:33,emphasis added). His wisdom has caused me to think a little differently about what I want to do in 2014. I don't want to just tackle a list of desirable projects. At times in the past, my goal setting has been more like constructing a bucket list of good ideas rather than an effort to really focus my life.


In 2014, I want to focus on just a few really important areas. I want to become a better

  • Disciple of Christ,
  • Husband,
  • Father, and
  • Grandfather.
These are the most important areas of my life and the ones that have eternal significance. If I can improve in each of these areas in 2014, I will count this year as a success. I will have become a better son of God. I will have improved the time allotted to me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment